Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Week 5

Hello again! I can't believe it's already been one more week. It's getting to the point now where every week when we have companionship inventory, district meetings, or letters to the president, it seems like it was just yesterday. I can’t believe how fast time is flying, and much left there is to do!! I will try, as always, to remember everything I need to reply to specifically in your letters, but as always I'm sure I'll forget something. I haven't received in print your letter yet, Mom, but I just now read it in Gmail (DearElder sends a confirmation e-mail). I'm sorry to hear your letters got lost, I can only imagine the frustration. Good thing I only have to use PC's once a week now, huh?

On to my weekly list of "Things to Write Home About:"

-One of the most difficult and important challenges about being a missionary is trying to strike the balance between being a lesson-cramming robot, and a therapist. We don't want to just teach the lessons for the sake of lessons and completely ignore the needs of our investigators. But it's also difficult to consider their needs, but not to the extent that every visit is about personal feelings, rather than gospel principles. The key is identifying their needs, and figuring out which principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will most help satisfy that particular need. Easier said than done, but when it works, it's amazing. Our goal is to help them come unto Christ by seeing for themselves how the Gospel will individually and personally bless their lives. Part of the trick is also teaching with unity. This is something I've really been trying to focus on lately. As the Spanish is coming quite well for me (compared to many), and because of my personality, I have the tendency in the lessons to immediately jump in when a question is asked. I don't remember if I've already talked about this. But Hermano Ames very gently repremanded me one day for dominating in the lessons. So Elder Phelps and I have been planning more carefully and dividing the lesson better, and it's helped so much. I'm learning to shut up and trust my companion, and in return Elder Phelps is getting so much better at teaching! He used to freeze a lot and has never been very assertive, but his tesitmonies and the power of his teaching is grown tremendously in the past week or so. Basically, I'm really proud of my companion.

-How is Vocal Point doing on the Sing off?

-MTC really stands for "Make Time Count."

-Investigator news! Jorge has (kinda) set a baptism date for 10 days from now! He's coming along really well, and our lessons are wonderful. Kleyber, not as much. He has a baptism date, but we just found out recently that he's doing it mostly for his Mom. So tonight, we're going to try to help him understand the real importance of baptism and the commitment he's making, and the importance of having a testimony for yourself.

Thank you all so much for continuing to support me every week. Your letters are such a tremendous strength to me, and all my fears and worries truly fly away when I read your words. I love you all dearly. Well, I'm out of time. I don't think I answered a single question of yours...but I can't remember what they are. I love you all. I pray for you every day. And I love being a missionary. Truly. Well, till next week. Adios!

-Elder Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment