Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Lord Qualifies Whom He Calls


Hey everbody out there! It is a joy to be able to write you once again.

Well, first things first. I'll guess I'll get the news out there:

On Friday during lunch, I received a call from President Martinez. He informed me that there would be an emergency cambio taking place today (Tuesday). Elder Tanner, one of the asistents, had finished his extension, and someone needed to take his place, so due to all the movement, they needed me to move to Lota to be the new companion of Elder Aparicio (one of the Zone Leaders of Coronel). He asked me if I knew what that meant, and still taken aback by the surprising news, I said I did not, so President Martinez told me the obvious. "It means, Elder Wilcox, that you will be the new Zone Leader together with Elder Aparicio." After I hung up, I took a little moment to collect myself, because I honestly don't know if I've ever felt so excited and scared (name that musical) during the mission, then reunited with my companions to give them the news.

So we kept working, Elder Perez and I, until Sunday when they informed me that I in fact had to be in Lota by Monday. So I dropped everything, got my bags packed, headed out the next morning, and here I am, writing you from my new home, about 45 minutes south of Lagunillas. It's all happened/happening very fast, and I still feel kind of in dream land. Yesterday in our District Zone meeting I gave me first lesson with Elder Aparicio in front of the Zone, and felt so unprepared and unable. You all know, I'm generally the kind of person that doesn't mind being on stage, thrives under big responsablities and loves being a leader, but for some reason, this time, for the first time in my life, I truly feel scared about this new assignment and what faces me. I think it's because this is the first time I've ever had a responsibility of such great importance. School clubs, musicals, various acivities really don't carry the same weight as helping 18 missionaries and representatives of Jesus Christ find, teach, and baptise living souls, children of the living God. So I think it's the first time that I truly am not prepared for an assignment and cannot do it on my own. So I've been praying lot, seeking guidance from Heavely Father and praying for strength to be able to learn and be an instrument in His hands. This work is truly beyond a 20 year old kid, but I know that my God can do all things, and if I have faith, I will not fear. When God called Moses to be a leader, Moses expressed his doubt and concern that he wouldn't be capable, saying he wasn't a good speaker, so God chastised him and said something like (I don't have time to look up the reference), "Am I not God? Didn't I make your mouth? And can I not put words in your mouth and be your guide?" I love that scripture. And I know that in this new assignment, God will do the same for me. He doesn't always call the qualified, but he always qualifies the called.

So I'm excited for what's ahead. This will be a great learning experience for me, and I hope to be a great help in lifting up the zone of Coronel. I'm afraid I don't have much time to write. I'll hit the highlights.

Daniela got baptised!! It was a beautiful baptismal service and she is very happy with the new step she took. She unfortunately wasn't able to be confirmed this Sunday, since she got sick and couldn't come to Church, so Elder Perez together with the other Elders of Lagunillas will be working with her and keeping her on track to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost this Sunday.
I got your package and it is AWESOME! Seriously, I loved it, the pictures, the food, the TIES that are GORGEOUS! And of course, P90X woo! Truly, thank you very much, and way excited for it all.
Good ahead and add all Chilean peoples on facebook! They added me cause I told them to, so no worries. Just keep on adding em, they already know that I can't use facebook.
Congrats Ashley and the fantastic decision!!! Seriously, I'm way excited for you and I know that the Lord will bless you richly for participating in such a marvelous work and a wonder.

Okay, times up. I'll let you all know how things are going with my new life in Lota. In the mean time, I'll leave you with a fun fact. Lota was the first city in South America to receive electric lighting, and Thomas Edison himself was the one who set it up. Neat!
I love you all very much, and love hearing from you every week. To all those who read these letters, may God bless you, and may you talk to some missionaries and learn more about the beatiful message we get to share! I know Christ lives, and that he stands at the head of His Church today. I know I'm in the right place at the right time, and couldn't feel more blessed, humbled, happy. Have a wonderul week!

Love,
Elder Wilcox
Daniela's Baptism!!!!
 Yay!
 with Elder Ahart and Daniela's cousin
Our stove gets way way hot, so we named it Mordor. Seriously, you could destroy the one ring in that thing.
 With Daniela and her cousins.
 With Elder Perez
Kids these days with their technology and us missionaries with nothing but our cellphones and scriptures.
 Word
Elder Perez with his apron getting ready to cook up some pancakes (farewell pancake party with Daniela and some members during my last in Little Lagunillas.)
 This picture is for all those who don't think I give a flip.
 It's happy to see us.

We literally made about 60 pancakes. It was crazy.
With Brother Gavilán. I'm definitely gonna miss that man.
These fotos are from the last district zone meeting they did in Lota. I wasn't present because I was sick, but I felt like sending them anyway so you can see some pretty scenery from my new sector.





No comments:

Post a Comment