Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Final Chapter

So...here I am. Opening up the final chapter of my mission. All full transfers have come to a close, soon I will literally be completing 2 full years of misionary service, and this life I have loved so dearly is quickly passing away. I'm full of mixed feelings, but I try to put them out of my heart and head, preferring to pretend that every day is the first day, and that really I'll be here for another 2 years. I have four full weeks to dedicate myself to my Savior and my Chilean brothren, and I am committed to give it my all, come what my.

With this recent transfer come interesting and exciting news. I have been "released" so to speak after a long journey as Zone Leader (more than half of my mission), and have been reassigned as District Leader, as they are combining the zones of Cautín and Labranza (the same stake, afterall), and the zone leaders will be over there. I feel a little sad that I won't be able to participate in the Lidership council my last month in the mission, as it has been something very special to me, but excited to learn new things and finish the race with a different perspective.

I have a fantastic district, consisting of the 4 Sisters of my very own Maquehue ward, so it'll be nice not having to travel much, and being able to work more effectively together as a ward. They're great sisters, with a great vision of the work, and are having a lot of success recently.

My new comp will be Elder Rivera, from Argentina. I don't know much about him, just that he's relatively new in the mission, and was trained by the other Elder Wilcox that used to be here.

I am thrilled to be staying in Maquehue, since we've had some huge miracles recently:

Elisa is progressing really well and has accepted to be baptised on the 21st. She invited us to eat lunch again with her family yesterday and afterwards we watched "Together Forever." It was a powerful moment, and really helped her parents realize it's time to work and make decisions. With tears in their eyes, and hopes of a happier family, they committed to going to church with Elisa next week. We're really excited.

We also were given a miracle self-reference from the sisters the other day. His name is Manuel. Aparently he saw the sisters one day and went up to them, asking them if they could visit him soon. He belongs to our sector, so we went, and turns out Manuel has met with missionaries for about the last 5 years, has attended church many times, knows a ton, and has a testimony of the Church. He only hasn't been baptised, because he was always jumping back and forth from city to city for studies, work, etc. But now he's here in Maquehue more permanently, finishing up a doctorate. Long story short, he will be going to church with us next Sunday, and has decided to be baptised on the 28th.  A true miracle.

Finally, a long-term investigator we've had (Ximena) decided to be baptised by the end of the year. We're still working with her trying to help her to progress faster, and she's been making some big strides. A precious moment we had with her the other day was when she finally agreed to give the final prayer at the end of the lesson. It was a very simple, yet sincere prayer, but it was the first time we had ever heard her pray in front of us, and it truly brought tears to my eyes. I love Ximena and rejoice when she progresses, and I'm really hoping she can be baptised before I leave Chile. I'm pretty sure it would be one of the happiest moments of my life.

So the work is great. God is good, and the Gospel is true! Awesome!

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!

Much love,
Elder Wilcox

P.S. I looked at the schedule of the Santiago Temple. Looks like everything should be okay, but I'll give them a call anyway just to be sure.

P.P.S. We're in Spring time now (THANK GOODNESS) and spring in southern Chile is gorgeous. You'll be fine in sweaters/light jackets. But bring umbrellas or something waterproof juuust in case, because Spring time is nice, but also very unpredictable here. :)

our lunch schedule for the week. Notice sunday (domingo) where Elisa Bucarey signed up. Our golden investigator!
 beheading my companion
 With Bro. Bucarey, Elisa's dad
 With Elisa and her younger brother, Julio
With the zone in a restaurant in the famous Mapuche Market of Temuco. I'll have to take you when you come. You'll find the best magnets there, Mom.
 with Elder Hanes in our last zone P-day outing


No comments:

Post a Comment